Peggy Guggenheim Collection
The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is the most important museum in Italy for European and American art of the Twentieth Century, and houses the collection of the patron Peggy Guggenheim.
In 1948 the collection was exhibited at the first post-war Venice Biennale. It was then that Peggy Guggenheim bought Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, an unfinished palace on the Grand Canal where she lived for 30 years, until her death in 1979. The Palazzo is now home to the museum that bears the name of its founder, housing masterpieces of Cubism, Futurism, European Abstraction, Surrealism and American Abstract Expressionism, with works by the greatest masters of the twentieth century including Calder, Duchamp, Ernst, Magritte, Picasso, Pollock, and many others. The museum is also home to a sculpture garden, and periodically organises temporary exhibitions.
© Collezione Peggy Guggenheim. Photo Matteo De Fina.
how to get there
The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is located along the Grand Canal between the Accademia Bridge and the Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute.
From Piazzale Roma or Railway:
Vaporetto line 2, direction Lido, Accademia stop
Vaporetto line 1, direction Lido, Accademia or Salute stops
From Piazza San Marco:
Vaporetto line 2, direction P. Roma, Accademia stop
Vaporetto line 1, direction P. Roma, Salute or Accademia stops